Thursday, July 03, 2008

First World Problems

Personal space is at a premium in New York City, a fact that I've tried hard to adjust to. After all, I grew up in the Midwest, where closets are as big as NYC bedrooms and garages are bigger than entire apartments.

In my more than 7 years here, I've grown more accustomed to the necessity of the space constraints, but what I don't understand is when people don't take advantage of the space they have. For example, today I was the only person on one of the 20 treadmills at the gym and a woman overlooked all the empty treadmills to begin her workout directly next to me. Why? Why would you deliberately choose to be right next to someone when there are more options?

Of course, as soon as I felt myself get angry at her, I realized how ridiculous I was being. After all, CNN was playing the footage of the rescued Columbian hostages and I watched, teary-eyed, as a mother embraced the children she hadn't seen in 6 years.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post other than to say that with all the wedding tasks and client nonsense it's easy to forget how really lucky I am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

I know what you mean. Although I think it would be hilarious to go to a beach with only a few people and set up camp right next to them to see how they react.

Perhaps you were on a hidden camera show?

3:55 PM, July 08, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home