Thursday, December 25, 2008

Bah, Humbug

Matt and I spent our Christmas going to see a movie and eating an excellent meal that he cooked for me. Since we're Jewish, we don't celebrate the holiday and since we don't have kids, we're not really doing anything for Hanukkah either.

I don't like this time of the year. In fact, I kind of hate Christmas. For a few reasons.

1) It's cold and it's only getting worse. There's a huge buildup to Christmas but the letdown is that once it's over, the cold weather only gets worse for the next two months. There's nothing to celebrate or look forward to until Spring.

2) The music sucks. It's cloying, grating and never ending.

3) Sure, I'm jealous. As a crafty person, I would love to decorate a tree and my apartment. I'd be a cookie baking queen! No wonder my mom gets so obsessed with Halloween--she needs a substitute holiday.

But the worst is when people wish me a "happy holiday." You know, I would rather get a 'merry Christmas' card than a 'happy holiday' card. Why? Cause we all know what you mean. You don't mean Hanukkah, you mean Christmas.

This grinch is going to go watch the Law & Order marathon. Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah to all of my non-grinchy readers.

xoxo
jen

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When people say "happy holidays," I would think that they mean "Happy Hanukka," "Merry Christmas," "Happy Boxing Day," "Happy Kwanza," or anything that others might be celebrating during this time of year. It is a genuine gesture to respect and celebrate diversity. It might be beneficial if you can open your mind and broaden your horizon a little bit, rather than living in your narrow and self-centered world.

5:31 PM, December 27, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, Jen... Happy Holidays.

8:37 PM, December 27, 2008

 
Blogger Jen said...

My favorite kind of comments are the cranky ones. Keep 'em coming!

However, 2 things. Yes, when people say "happy holidays," I also think they lump things together, but for many people that includes the "fake" holidays that no one they know celebrates. Boxing Day? Are you kidding me?

And, while I love comments, it means more when you're not anonymous, especially when you're going to criticize me.

10:59 AM, December 28, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please shut up

10:19 PM, January 08, 2009

 
Blogger Jen said...

Hey, Anonymous,

If you don't like my blog, don't read it. No need to tell me to shut up. And next time, grow a pair and use a name. When you don't, you're just a whiny coward.

10:28 PM, January 08, 2009

 
Blogger WonderGirl said...

Mental note: Send Jen and Matt a Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday Baby Jesus/angels weeping/three kings bearing gifts/silent night/ holy Mary mother of God Christmas card next year.

Oh..and make her some cookies! Shaped and decorated like Xmas tress...or maybe you would like to come over and decorate with me? My un-crafty self kinda hates that part.

-The never anonymous Abigail

2:21 PM, January 09, 2009

 
Blogger WonderGirl said...

Oh and I used to celebrate the Solstice when I was wiccan, and my mom celebrates the "advent" so there are some more fake holidays...In Ireland they called Boxing Day "Women's Christmas" because it was the day the moms were supposed to rest and the boys do all the cooking and cleaning after lead up to the crazy holidaze. It is kinda a big deal over there...I think pancakes are involved...maybe I am mixing that pancake holiday with something around Easter...? For all their suffering, those Catholics sure know how to let loose and party! Feast of the Assumption? Yhay! Holy Mary died and went to heaven?!?...break out the booze!! Glug Glug Glug... Woo Hoo! Pass the turkey! Chomp Chomp!

Please do that when I leave this mortal coil...

2:29 PM, January 09, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home