Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard

I don't like stupid people. More than mean people or rude people, I vehemently dislike stupid people. Although my passive-aggressive nature is boiling up with this post, I am compelled to write this because, hyperbole aside, this story is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

A co-worker was sharing her triumph with my boss over her ability to talk down a mattress salessman from his initial price of $8,000 to $2,200. After she left the office, I had to ask my boss what kind of mattress costs $8,000.

"You know, one of those really nice sleep-number beds," she explained.

"Well, there's no way it really cost $8,000 to begin with if she was able to buy it for $2,200. And $2,200 is still a lot of money to spend for a mattress! I can think of a lot of things I'd rather have for that much money."

"Yeah, but she was telling me that her mom got a refund check from the government she didn't think was right so she divided it up between her kids. Each of the three of them got $5,000 to spend immediately since her mom didn't want to deposit any money into her back account."

Wait? WHAT?

A woman gets a refund check of $15,000 she thinks is incorrect and she thinks the government won't find out if she doesn't put it in her bank account? Does she not realize that if she CASHES THE CHECK it becomes obvious that she's taken the money? Does she think the government won't come after her for the money? And if the money really is hers, she's just instructed her children to go out and overspend immediately for no reason.

Either way, she just threw away $15,000. And her three children all thought this was a good plan???

Is this the dumbest thing you've ever heard? Because it pretty much tops my list.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trina said...

You are correct: they are all incredibly stupid. I hope that Sleep Number bed/mattress pops.

And for the record - one of the few things I believe in spending stupid-seeming amounts of money on is bedding: sheets with high threadcounts, foam (but NOT "memory" foam) pillows, mattresses, etc. But Sleep Number mattresses are a massive ripoff and SO not worth the $$$. I could spend the same amount on a Serious Mattress and sleep like a queen for the rest of my life! Can we say Kingsdown?

But I wouldn't spend a questionable government check on it! When in doubt, sit on the cash and wait to see what Uncle Sam does! Assuming one is the kind of dingbat who doesn't send the check back and say, "Uh... I think I received this in error," of course!

2:04 AM, March 03, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home