Monday, September 17, 2007

Late-night Texts

On Wednesday night, I got a text message at 11:04 pm wishing me a "healthy and happy new year." It was fine since I was still awake, and it was nice since Wednesday night marked the beginning of the Jewish New Year (for someone completely non-religious, I certainly talk a lot about Jewish stuff), but the note was from a number that I didn't recognize.

Who on earth was sending me a "Happy New Year" message at 11 o'clock at night? Since I couldn't figure it out, I wrote back, saying, "Thanks--who is this?" When he wrote back with his name, I was even more confused. Who was this person? Maybe it someone I had gone on a date with? If so, the date would have had to have been more than a year ago. Mentally, I scrolled through Jewish guys I had gone out with in the past few years. No. Uh-uh. Nope. Hmmmm.

While I did finally remember who he was (a guy who I had met at the gym 2 years ago), the text made me remember another late-night message I received--an inappropriate one.

I was looking for a new job last summer and a friend introduced me to a friend of his who also did PR. I wanted to ask him some questions about his firm, so we met for a drink at a midtown bar (it was close to both our offices). It was a boring and useless conversation, so after one drink, I thanked him for his time. He asked me to have dinner. I said I was meeting my boyfriend.

I thought that was the end of the story. And then the emails started. It was so good to meet me--maybe I'd like to have another drink sometime? Maybe we could grab dinner and talk about "the industry?" I politely declined. Did he think our one drink was a date? Gross.

After I mentioned my boyfriend a few more times, I thought he would finally stop contacting me. No, no!

A couple weeks later I received the following text message at 2:12am: "Hey there you awake? Johnny is too drunk and is drunk texting you and i think i am talking about myself in the third person:)"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home