Thursday, February 08, 2007

Interviews are like dating

In so many ways.
You send and resend your resume out there (you go out and flirt or banter online), hoping to secure an interview (date) and almost invariably jump from one bad interview to another hoping to find a job (relationship).

Also, like dating, one person usually has the power in the interviewing process. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe this person should be the one doing the interviewing.

Last month I went on an interview at a small media relations firm (that will remain unnamed). Mark (not his real name), the owner and president of the company was personable, attractive, and seemed confident about his firm’s growth, clients, and assets. I talked with him, met 3 other employees and completed an odd writing test. I’d been asked to submit writing samples or take a writing test for nearly all of my interviews, yet I had never taken one with political questions (I’m assuming to test my googling skills and current event knowledge).
At the end of my test, we met again during which he talked at length about the new office space he was looking for (apologizing for the cramped and boring-looking set-up) and why his firm would be a good opportunity for me. Fine.
The next day I meant to drop off a hand-written thank you note, but didn’t due my inability to leave my apartment unnecessarily during freezing weather. It was really cold. Super cold. Unbelievably stupid cold.
Anyway, before I could email him a note telling him how great it was to meet him and how interested I was in his firm, blah blah, he called me. To ask me if I was interested (he didn’t know if I was since he hadn’t received a thank you note from me) and if not, why, and if it was the office, didn’t I know that they were moving shortly?
Okkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Why was he calling me? Was he desperate? He hadn’t acted like it before, but his call made me wonder. And much less interested in the position.

I went back for a second interview, during which he reiterated the new office plan, how great his firm was and happy his employees were, and inquired about my interest. Then, he asked what I thought of the firm. What were my initial impressions? Was it someplace I could see myself?

What was this freak doing? It was like insecure marraige talk on a second date. Am I cute? When you saw me across the bar/clicked on my picture online what attracted you to me? Do you like my hair? No? Because I'm thinking of changing it.

I think I'm turning old because I'm so uniterested in the chase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home